The Half Life

Funny how last year, this time I was a staunch believer of "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
All that has changed now, I've realized that what you do to others doesn't stop them from doing what they want to, exactly as they please, to you. There are a few exceptions but by large, this rule doesn't apply.

After three months of living the carefree life of a high school drop-out, going to school will kill me.
Last time I had to do something like this, I didn't go at all and then got expelled.
Sigh. Early mornings are a bitch.
Plus, it's a scary, maze-like, NEW school. I've never been good with new places/people/actions.

I can do everything that scares me otherwise, when I have someone with me. I can walk boldly to the roadside shop with a board saying 'Cigarettes will not be sold to minors' and ask for a pack (Clarification: I don't smoke. Everyone else I know does), I can walk into a posh bar and order a 'Sex on the Beach', I can bargain with the shady, thug-like shopkeeper, I can giggle and talk loudly while standing on the side of the road knowing well that all eyes are on us, I can stalk a cute guy etc.

None of these are 'sensible' things, but I do them without batting an eyelash when I'm with someone.
I wonder what that makes me.. certainly not prudent.

Maybe a coward with a half life.

P.S. Being in love with not getting what you want hurts like a motherfucker.

2 comments:

Poe said...

When all else fails, ask yourself: What would Santa do?

Anne said...

That would be Santa Claus or Santa Singh?