Random ramble

I joined dance class yesterday. It was sort of like a milestone for me because ever since I was a painfully shy little girl, I’ve always always hated doing new things without someone for company; which is why I left playing tennis even though both my coaches said I had great talent, why I never went for baking classes even though everyone said my cakes are delicious, why I didn’t continue with swimming or art or music or Spanish. It’s pretty pathetic but it’s was one of my strongest fears. I overcame that yesterday. Dance is something I really love doing but I never joined dance classes because there was no one to join with me. In my school, we have a lot of dances, I took part in three of them and after that there was no way I could hold back. Till the last minute I was unsure because I would be completely on my own with a bunch of strangers of varying ages, but I had a sudden burst of decisiveness and quickly registered before it passed. I had a lot of fun in class, we’re learning street jazz and even though I didn’t talk to anyone, it wasn’t all that bad. I took the leap and landed on my feet. Oh and my instructor is todally drool worthy. It’s going to be LEGENDARY! :P
We were having a discussion about gender issues in history class and Frogface is like ‘Maybe there’s some logical reason behind why women haven’t men able to overcome male domination, maybe its proof that women are actually inferior creatures’. We were all appalled at his bigotry. It’s our history teacher who shut him up. First she gave an explanation about how in the past, because women were vulnerable during pregnancy, they couldn’t take part in certain activities like the hunt which is why during those 10-12 months, it fell on men to do all the strenuous labour. As time passed, for convenience’s sake, this became the men’s role in society, while women looked after children, because well, if they wouldn’t, who would? Then when the age of war came, women and children were kept indoors while men fought wars because it’s a fact that women’s bodies while more agile and capable of more stamina on the long-run, are not fit for fighting wars. This was all fine till men respected the different but equally important role women played. But somewhere along the way, men decided that their physical strength made them superior to women and gave them the right to dominate them. This too was during the age of war and women could do nothing but submit because back then they needed men. But now, as the age of reason is here, and wars are not as frequent, there is no reason why physical strength should be considered a mark of superiority. When it comes to living a civilized life, women are just as–if not more- capable as men and there is absolutely no reason why they should be considered anything less than equal. Then she adds, ‘Maternity never needs to be proved, paternity does. Men would keep their women under control because they didn’t want to “waste” their resources on someone else’s child. The child had to be their own flesh and blood for them to feel anything for it. As is evident in the many cases where men suddenly abandon kids they have nurtured and loved for years altogether if they happen to find out that the kids are not theirs biologically. Animals too show such behavior. A triumphant lion kills all the progeny of the defeated lion so as to start a completely new pride with only his offspring. However, humans are not like animals, we are capable of some higher thinking and the fact that men haven’t been able to transcend such animalistic thinking, speaks for men themselves.’
Take ho gaya :P

No comments: