I wish there wasn't a code of confidentiality in counseling. Not that I'm a proper counselor and not just an easy-to-confide-in friend. Not that there's anything stopping me from 'assisting with communication'. But still, it makes sense, not getting that involved in someone's fights. So, in my non-profession, I end up watching a lot of couples having trouble just because one partner fails to comprehend the other's ramblings. I can't count the number of times, I've had to see a girlfriend interpret her boyfriend's 'I'll be fine' as an 'I don't care enough'. Misunderstandings are the biggest and baddest of them bitches. And it breaks my heart when I watch them pile up in my friends' relationship. But sigh, no one said counselors get to play God. We can only guide by asking very pointed questions and by making it obvious, subtly (apparently we can't even offer advice! Wtf! That rule I REFUSE to follow.). I wish there was a way we could say communicate stuff without really having to do it purposely, like a wire that passed thoughts between minds.
If only...
No comments:
Post a Comment