Anyone who goes around saying they want/need/should get into a relationship, better know what they're talking about (OBVIOUSLY they don't)
Relationships (I'm talking about the romantic kinds over here) are so much bloody hard work. It's different that this 'work' comes effortlessly and naturally most of the time, but seriously, they are such painstaking hard work. There are always some sort of mind-boggling problems to solve, inequations to fix, insecurities to get rid of, hints to get across, ‘talks’ to have, gifts to buy, letters to write, confrontations to face, silent treatments to give. Just the fact that you care so much instantly produces a list of things to take care of.
And even after everything you do to make your relationships strong – vaccinate them against infidelity and build up their immunity to squabbles – they’re still so fragile. Like babies or puppies, like playing card castles or unhinged mass murderers.
Folks, in even the most harmonious of relationships, have asked themselves at least once, ‘Why the heck am I doing an emotional equivalent of a perpetual handstand for this person?’
No one has an answer. All we know is that, given a choice, we’d still choose to do emotional acrobatics for a person who may/may not be conscious of it.
Love. Sigh.
I know for a fact that I’m actually not such an expert at relationships (just ask Path). Every time a problem, an obstacle, an anomaly, a glitch or –as Facebook would put it- a kink arises, I react in one of the following ways:
1) Sulk. Followed by external, ‘Fine. Do whatever the fuck you want.’ and internal melodramatic resignation. I won’t even try because honestly, I have no clue what to do and I refuse to talk about it or get help. I’m very guy-like that way.
2) Sulk. And throw a tantrum. Because I’m a brat like that. I like getting attention and get instantaneously insecure when denied attention. This is also one of the two times in my life where I don’t apply cold, hard, oh-so-effective logic.
3) Give up. Wait for him to end. No I can’t hear you saying ‘Dude, he didn’t act mean or pissed, he just said he had to go pee.’ Because it’s getting drowned out by the ‘OhmygodohmygodOHMYGOD MYWORLD IS FALLING APART’ resonating in my head. No prizes for guessing this is the second instance where logic goes out of the cranium.
4) Drama.
‘Why don’t I talk to him about this and come up with a compromise?’ is featured nowhere on the transcript of my mind.
Messed up or what?
At the end of the day, you know why you’re making an effort and that’s reason enough to continue making it.
Love.
Stupid shit.
No comments:
Post a Comment