I think I’m finally over the fact that my birthday was crappy. Yup, closure has come 2 and a half months later, but hey, better late than never, right?


How did it happen? Well, I realized love and friendship can’t be measured in grand gestures, gifts, cards, flowers, poetry etc. etc. Sure those things do symbolize love but they are not the only things that validate it.


Does this sound like a lame post about how you should value the small things in life? Well, I’m going to admit, it pretty much is.


This epiphany happened a few days ago when it was my friend’s birthday. She’s really very popular, has a million friends from all over place. But none of us really like her. I personally think she’s a delusional freak sometimes. For her birthday, she had to beg her best friend to do something for her, bake a cake, and plan a surprise, anything. Heck, she even told her best friend who all she wanted on the guest list, lest any of her ‘friends’ should get left out. So in the end, she did have her surprise, a lot of people came, she acted all “Who?! Me?!” and all. Even I got her a card. But none of it actually meant anything, I still didn’t like her, all those people weren’t really her friends and she had to plan her own surprise party.


This was when I realized how empty and meaningless all of it was. I was measuring my birthday in how I didn’t get any cards, how I didn’t have a big party, how everyone just went home to sleep or how some of my friends forgot my birthday because they were so stressed about their economics exam. What I didn’t see was how T actually baked me a cake amidst all that exam stress and brought it to school, how my best friends contributed towards getting me something that meant more to me than birthday cards (The Dress, in case you were wondering) , how I have wonderful friends who’re there for whenever I need them, who listen to me groan about the same shit in my life that I groan about every day and still sincerely advice me, who do all these really sweet things for me almost every day. So what if ONE day was crappy, they make every other day awesome. And at least I didn’t have to beg for a surprise (whatever that means).
=)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, that day was strange. Amidst all our chaos & fun & scary calls, you were there.
And, I might not have thanked you enough back there. But, I really did mean it.
Thankyou.
For knowing I was not allright, when I said I was.
=)

Anne said...

Love =)

Rohan said...

: )